[Kolab-devel] Legacy mode broken?

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Wed May 21 22:35:50 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 14:18, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2003 22:04 schrieb Diego Rivera:
>
> Hi,
>
> for security reasons we dont use the real username and password for ftp
> transfers. After all ftp is unencrypted plain text.

Agreed and understood - the docs state this.  Understand that I tried
them as I tried anything else I could think of and it still wouldn't
work.

> Please have a look at
>
> http://www.kroupware.org/technical-1.0.1-html/x587.html
> http://www.kroupware.org/architecture-1.1/x516.html
> http://www.kroupware.org/architecture-1.1/x154.html
>
> You may lookup the freebusy credentials in LDAP.

I've seen these docs  However, I've looked for the freebusy credentials
in LDAP (using the gq LDAP browser), and they're not there.  I'm
assuming I'm looking for an entry like
"cn=freebusy,dc=mail,dc=kolab,dc=priv", and it's not there.

I can see the users I've created, a shared folder I created, and other
things listed - but no freebusy credentials that I can tell.

There's admin, manager, nobody, internal, external, etc...but no
freebusy anywhere (that I can find).

BTW: I DID enable legacy mode in the web-gui since the initial install.

I realize I'm being incredibly dense (it can't possibly be the system
from what I've seen in the docs and from the posts by you guys), but for
the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

My understanding of legacy mode is:

a) I can ftp to the kolab server and upload my f/b information using
some form of credentials that apply only to me - either the freebusy
credentials you mention to upload the file "<me>.vcf", or my own
credentials to upload the same file (not likely, because of the security
concerns you mention).

b) I can http (or https) to the kolab server at
http(s)://server/freebusy/me.vcf and get said information.  This
requires me to authenticate (which I'm assuming should be done using the
freebusy credentials you mention, as it needs to be publicly available).

Is this perception correct?  That's what I glean from the docs.

Jeez I feel dumb...but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm
missing!

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *