[Kolab-devel] Where do we start?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu May 15 06:59:07 CEST 2003

Am Mittwoch, 14. Mai 2003 20:30 schrieb Stephan Buys:

Hi Stephan,

> 1) The ability to easily build the SRC RPMS of the Kolab server from CVS
> - This might already exists

We are using Makefiles for this currently. Please have a look at the cvs (it
is available via anonymous cvs since a while)

> - Some script like assemblekolab.sh could be used to quickly take changes
> from CVS to a state where we can merge changes into Kolab and test them.
> - Any comments on this?

Where is the difference to the former?

> 2) There is a patch available that takes "client_ldap_cache" out of Postfix
> and thus allows us to compile Postfix with LDAP support for the latest
> OpenLDAP version. This will scale better and need less processing than the
> what the kolab script does at the moment. (As this will be in "Kolab
> development" it should be ok to test this?)

Why do you think that this improves scalability? Please explain.

> 3) What about splitting the Kolab schema files out to different files
> again? I would like to add support for 2739 (LDAP Free/Busy URI's) to the
> server so that the client-side guys can start playing with it. (This of
> course does not affect the kolab.schema file, I just think it is easier to
> manage the different Schema files seperately)

I know about RFC 2739 but what do you expect to gain from putting the
Free/Busy information into LDAP?

> 4) We also need to think about a solution around distribution list. Either
> through aliasing with postfix or through integrating a mailing list
> manager.

As written in another email I prefer a mailing list manager plus client side
lists. In addition we have bulletins via public folders.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de