[Kolab-devel] Analysis of large calendar performance hit

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Tue Jul 22 10:52:07 CEST 2003

Martin Konold wrote:
> Currently readiong tnef is not optimized for speed at all.
> You may expect some
> improvements with regards to tnef reading speed in the
> future.

> Nevertheless I am interested in the speed of native icals.
> Can you make a test
> with real 1000 ical calendar entries? Do you measure the
> same performance problem?
OK, I imported the iCalendar that was exported by Lotus
Organizer into KOrganizer. That was the same file we
initially imported with Outlook as well. So now I got two
versions of the calendar, one with TNEF entries and one
with libkcal entries. The libkcal version is faster, but
still slow. Here are the times (both are averages of 3
tries):
libkcal: 19 seconds with 1085 entries.
TNEF: 98 seconds with 1003 entries.

(I knew the TNEF version was slow, but _that_ slow...)

The system I tested on was a Pentium 4, 1.7GHz with 256MB
memory.

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen